Property Tax Assessments in Michigan 2016
Based on Current law did you know your homes taxable value in Michigan can increase each year by either the rate of inflation or 5% whichever is lower?
How to appeal your property assessment:
- Obtain a Copy of your property tax worksheet or appraisal card.
- Check worksheet for errors.
- 2016 taxable value not to have an increase that exceeded .3 percent
- Inspect your home. You can get repair estimates and photo of structural damage and defects
- Changes in the Neighborhood. Characteristics of your neighborhood have changed.
- Recent purchased or refinanced your home. Determine whether your purchase price or your appraisal is lower than two times your SEV
- Inform assessor about any personal property included in the sale price …detailed in purchase agreement.
- Compare your home to similar homes in the area that have sold.
- Submit an appeal to the local board.
- If still not satisfied you can write a letter or petition to Michigan Tax Tribunal, P.O Box 30232, Lansing Mi 48909. Forms available @www.michigan.gov/taxtrib.
- Contact the tribunal at 517-636-7551 for petition requirements. Info from Ray Franz newsletter.